- (29/7/2015) Wakefield Council promotes sugar swaps
Wakefield Council is helping people swap sugary food and drinks for healthier alternatives, with interactive displays at events in the district this summer.
- (28/7/2015) The seaside is getting bigger
This year the seaside is coming back to Wakefield and due to its continuing success will be making its first appearance in Castleford.
- (28/7/2015) Wakefield Council and partners recruits 210 young people to National Citizen Service Programme
As many as 210 young people aged 15-17 years old are taking part in inspirational community projects in the Wakefield district this summer.
- (28/7/2015) Council begins fights back against government plans to close Wakefield Magistrates Court.
Wakefield Council is calling on the Government to scrap plans to close Wakefield Magistrates Court.
- (27/7/2015) Celebrate Yorkshire Day in Pontefract
Yorkshire Day celebrations are taking over Pontefract on August 1.
- (23/7/2015) Successful prosecution for fraudulent claim
Wakefield Council is warning people it will take a tough stance on fraudulent compensation claims after successfully prosecuting a woman at Wakefield Magistrates’ Court on July 23.
- (22/7/2015) Love Parks Week is launched
Love Parks Week is being celebrated in the Council’s parks and green spaces across the district with a busy programme of events and activities.
- (22/7/2015) National recognition again for Anglers Country Park and Haw Park Wood
As the Council is set to celebrate Love Parks Week, Anglers Country Park and Haw Park Wood in Wintersett are to receive prestigious Green Flag Awards for 2015-16.
- (20/7/2015) Council partners with organisation and landowners for biological control trial
Wakefield Council is working in partnership with organisations and landowners on a biological control trial for Himalayan balsam, a familiar feature of Yorkshire’s woodlands, watercourses, and waysides.
- (20/7/2015) Wakefield joins ‘Healthy High Streets’ programme
Wakefield Council and Wakefield City Centre Partnership are backing a national ‘Healthy High Streets’ programme which aims to create jobs, reduce empty shops and encourage more people to come into the city centre.
- (20/7/2015) New scheme for older people to be discussed
A new supported housing development which will enable older adults to live independently will be discussed by Wakefield councillors meeting on July 28.
- (19/7/2015) Cabinet Members to discuss use of funding for adults with disabilities
Wakefield councillors are to discuss the financial management of transferred funds to support adults with disabilities to live independently.
- (16/7/2015) Stay safe this summer
With the summer holidays starting, Wakefield Council is warning young people to stay safe and stay away from potential dangers.
- (15/7/2015) Councillors in Wakefield call for inquiry into policing at Orgreave
Wakefield Council has issued a strong call to the Government to investigate the conduct of South Yorkshire Police at Orgreave during the Miners’ Strike.
- (14/7/2015) Free childcare for two year olds
Wakefield Council is urging families in the district to check if they are eligible for free childcare for their two year old.
- (14/7/2015) Next Cabinet on Tour event to be held in Castleford
Wakefield Council is inviting people to come along and take part in the next Cabinet on Tour event.
- (14/7/2015) Summer at Wakefield Museums
Wakefield's museums have lots for families to get involved with this summer holiday – all for free.
- (12/7/2015) Reopening of newly-refurbished Grade I listed Wakefield Town Hall
Wakefield Town Hall is to reopen after a major two-year refurbishment programme.
- (9/7/2015) Changes to Wakefield bin collections go live on July 14
Planned changes to bin collections across the Wakefield district go live on Tuesday July 14.
- (7/7/2015) Government challenged to match Wakefield’s ambition with devolution deal
Wakefield Council Leader Councillor Peter Box CBE has issued a strong challenge to the Government to back its announcement of progress on devolution with strong action.
- (7/7/2015) £135m Five Towns Park development gets go-ahead
Wakefield Council has welcomed the news that Castleford Tiger’s new stadium development has been given the green light.
- (6/7/2015) Pontefract hosts picnic and proms
An exciting programme of music has been unveiled for Pontefract Castle’s Proms in the Castle event.
- (1/7/2015) Wakefield Team makes national Walking Football final at St George’s Park
A team of over 50s from Wakefield, Pontefract and Castleford will represent Yorkshire at the national Walking Football finals on Monday 6 July.
- (29/6/2015) New poster exhibition in Wakefield Museum to mark the First World War
The second part of a two-stage exhibition showing rarely seen recruitment posters from the First World War, has opened at Wakefield Museum.