- (29/3/2015) Schools in Wakefield district given a unique opportunity to take part in the Tour de Yorkshire.
As many as 50 of the district’s schoolchildren will have the honour of cycling part of the Tour de Yorkshire route – when the elite race comes to Wakefield on May 3.
- (29/3/2015) There’s something in the water at Pugneys Country Park
.Visitors to Pugneys Country Park are being invited to join in a monster hunt on Wednesday April 1.
- (27/3/2015) New era for Pugneys Country Park starts on March 28.
A new era is about to start at Pugneys Country Park with the launch, this week (March 28), of a range of new activities and events for children and adults.
- (27/3/2015) New road repair plan revealed
Over £4.6 million is being invested to repair and look after around 107km of the district’s roads and footpaths in 2015/16.
- (18/3/2015) Election nominations to open week commencing March 30
Candidates for this year’s Parliamentary, district and parish and town council elections are being advised nominations will open the week commencing March 30.
- (25/3/2015) Council consults on new taxi and private hire vehicle scheme
Wakefield Council is consulting on plans for a new taxi and private hire vehicle scheme.
- (25/3/2015) Polling cards to be delivered to households from March 30
Wakefield Council will be delivering poll cards to local households from Monday 30 March
- (17/3/2015) World War One soldiers' sketches to go on display at Wakefield Museum
World War One soldiers' sketches to go on display at Wakefield Museum
- (16/3/2015) Wakefield Council joins call on party leaders to cut stakes on high street gambling
Wakefield Council is supporting the call for party leaders to make a manifesto commitment to reduce the stakes on fixed odds betting terminals (FOBTs).
- (13/3/2015) Council raises awareness of Child Sexual Exploitation Awareness Day
We are working with partners to raise awareness of child sexual exploitation for Child Sexual Exploitation Awareness Day next week (18 March).
- (12/3/2015) Waterfront development reaches final stage
We will begin the final phase of the Waterfront development next week (16 March) – with the demolition of five buildings at Rutland Mills.
- (11/3/2015) Wakefield Council’s shop fronts scheme help maintain older buildings
A Wakefield Council grants scheme which encourages shop landlords and tenants to invest in their buildings has resulted in 17 shops in Castleford having a fresh new look.
- (11/3/2015) Sandal library re-opens following refurbishment works
We will reopen Sandal Library next week (16 March) – the 9th in the district to be rebuilt as a part of the ongoing £1.1m libraries review programme.
- (10/3/2015) Council and private sector work to boost economy
Wakefield’s economy has grown significantly with a boost to local jobs and reduction in unemployment according to a new report, published today.
- (10/3/2015) New Skate Park officially opens
We will be officially opening the newly built King George Skate Park in Castleford next week (16 March).
- (9/3/2015) Cabinet asked to approve regeneration projects for the district
Key decision makers are being asked to approve regeneration priorities for the coming year in the Wakefield district including new proposals for the South East.
- (9/3/2015) Route news welcomed and volunteer opportunities for Wakefield leg of the Tour de Yorkshire
Wakefield Council has welcomed confirmation that the start of the third stage of this year’s Tour de Yorkshire will start in Wakefield City Centre – and is launching an appeal for volunteers to support the event.
- (6/3/2015) Council joins in Commonwealth celebrations
We are encouraging people to join in with Common wealth day which takes place next week (9 March).
- (6/3/2015) Roadshow opens on National Apprenticeship Week
We are inviting people to come along to the first ever Apprenticeship Hub Roadshow - to find out more about apprenticeship opportunities across the district.
- (5/3/2015) Changes to household waste collections in Wakefield district delayed as vital equipment is stranded in frozen Canadian river
Residents across the Wakefield district are being notified that changes to household waste collections scheduled to take place this month will now be delayed until the summer
- (4/3/2015) Arts Council England funding secured for Wakefield Museums
We have been successful in receiving more than £100,000 to help improve visitors’ experience of museums in the district.
- (4/3/2015) Council pilots new scheme to help youngsters build skills
We are piloting a new scheme in secondary schools across the district to help young people develop their entrepreneurial skills.
- (3/3/2015) Wakefield Council calls on smokers to become ‘proud quitters’
Smokers in the Wakefield district are being urged to give up the habit – and join an army of ‘proud quitters’ on No Smoking Day (March 11).
- (3/3/2015) Wakefield Council’s Budget for 2015/16 has been approved.
Wakefield Council’s Budget for 2015/16 has been approved.