- (25/2/2015) Act now - don’t lose your right to vote, says Council
We are urging residents to look out for letters from next week (March 5) with information to help ensure that no-one loses the right to vote.
- (25/2/2015) Pontefract Castle to close for two days
As essential work continues, Pontefract Castle will be closed for two days next week to ensure safety on the site.
- (24/2/2015) Work is to begin on the West Yorkshire Archive Building in Wakefield
Work is to begin on a multi-million pound archive building in Wakefield, which will house historical records of regional, national and international significance.
- (23/2/2015) Meet the author events at Wakefield Library
We are inviting people to a series of 'meet the author' events taking place at Wakefield Library.
- (23/2/2015) Come along to Room on the Broom event
We are inviting children and families to come and take part in a new book themed trail.
- (23/2/2015) Food Drink and Rhubarb Festival is a big hit
A total of 125,000 people descended on Wakefield city centre for the ninth annual Festival of Food, Drink and Rhubarb.
- (19/2/2015) Wakefield planners approve plans for new stadium for Castleford
A special meeting of the Council's planning and highways committee has today (February 19) approved a series of major planning applications for Castleford.
- (18/2/2015) New poster exhibition in Wakefield Museum to mark the First World War
A new exhibition showing rarely seen recruitment posters from the First World War, is to be launched at Wakefield Museum this month.
- (18/2/2015) Investing in Pontefract Museum
We will begin work to improve Pontefract Museum next week.
- (17/2/2015) Next Cabinet on Tour event confirmed
We are inviting people to come along and take part in the next Cabinet on Tour event.
- (17/2/2015) Road closures as Work begins at Pontefract Castle
We are advising residents about road closures as work to improve Pontefract Castle begins
- (17/2/2015) Cabinet asked to approve parking policy
Key decision makers at the Council are being asked to approve a new parking policy at the next Cabinet meeting on Tuesday 24 February.
- (17/2/2015) Cabinet members to discuss new law for lettings agencies
Decision-makers at the Council are to discuss a new complaints handling law affecting the privately rented housing sector
- (16/2/2015) Preparations to begin soon for Rhubarb Festival
We are preparing for large crowds at this year's Food, Drink and Rhubarb Festival which begins in a matter of days.
- (16/2/2015) Council supporting vulnerable people
We are launching a new scheme to create 'safe havens' to help vulnerable people in the district.
- (16/2/2015) Council joins in Commonwealth celebrations
Wakefield is joining in international celebrations of The Commonwealth – along with countries like New Zealand, Jamaica and Sri Lanka.
- (13/2/2015) Council business programme supports fashion finalist
A dedicated seamstress who turned her hobby into a career was a finalist for a top national award, after receiving crucial support from Wakefield Council’s Business Support Programme.
- (10/2/2015) Come along to youth trade fair
People are invited to come along to the next Young Enterprise Trade Fair - the first to be hosted by the Council.
- (9/2/2015) Don’t miss out on the Food Drink and Rhubarb Festival
With 11 days to go until the Food, Drink and Rhubarb Festival, we are reminding residents not to miss out on the fun filled weekend.
- (6/2/2015) Pontefract Market scoops top award
Pontefract Market has scooped a top national award, for providing a high quality service to thousands of customers each week.
- (5/2/2015) Wakefield Council welcomes new funding for skills service
We have welcomed today's announcement of £17.5m for a new skills service for local businesses in the Leeds City Region, which includes the Wakefield district.
- (5/2/2015) Country’s only one-site waste and recycling facility will divert 95% from landfill
In an investment worth c£100m we are working with Shanks Waste Management, to open the country’s only waste and recycling facility to deal with an entire district’s waste at one site.
- (3/2/2015) Council backs new scheme to help improve school attendance
A new nationally recognised programme to help children improve their attendance at school is being rolled out across the district following a successful pilot in Pontefract.
- (3/2/2015) Come along to community event
Residents are invited to come along and enjoy a host of activities taking place at the next WF1 Community Together event.
- (3/2/2015) Google helps Wakefield Businesses
More than 180 businesses attended an event hosted by global internet giant Google to help maximise their online presence.
- (2/2/2015) Views sought on the future of Sandal Castle visitor centre
We are encouraging residents to have their say on the future of Sandal Castle’s visitor centre.
- (2/2/2015) Eat safely this Valentine’s Day
We are reminding residents of the importance of food safety this Valentine's Day.