- (23/12/2014) Next Cabinet on Tour event confirmed
We are inviting residents to come along and get their questions answered at the next Cabinet on Tour event in South Elmsall
- (22/12/2014) Council encourages residents to get flu jab.
Wakefield residents who fall into an ‘at risk’ group are being urged to have a flu jab to reduce their own risk of catching and then passing on the virus over the festive season.
- (22/12/2014) Council celebrates young people
We have celebrated the success of young people in the district who completed the National Citizen Programme – a project based scheme helping youngsters develop their skills.
- (22/12/2014) People sought to become adopters or foster carers
Wakefield Council is urging people with an interest in adoption and fostering to step forward and find out more about what's involved.
- (18/12/2014) Further funding cuts ahead for local government
The Leader of Wakefield Council, Cllr Peter Box, said that further funding cuts for local government could spell the end of some of the public services on which people depend.
- (18/12/2014) Major new relief road for Eastern Wakefield
Planning councillors in Wakefield have given the go-ahead to one of the region’s biggest road schemes in recent years by approving a new road which will reduce traffic congestion.
- (18/12/2014) Leader to lead one minute silence in Wakefield to mark tragedy in Pakistan
Councillor Peter Box CBE, Leader of Wakefield, will lead a one minute silence tomorrow to show support for those affected by this week’s tragic events in Pakistan in which more than 130 children were killed.
- (17/12/2014) Get your turkey ready for ‘National Defrost Your Turkey Day’
To help people stay safe during this festive season the Council will be supporting the Food Standards Agency (FSA) on National Defrost Your Turkey Day on Monday 22 December 2014. This day will prompt Christmas cooks to start thinking of the defrosting process in plenty of time and avoid getting caught out. A typical large turkey can take two days to defrost.
- (17/12/2014) Council encourages support for domestic abuse survey
We are encouraging residents to complete a new domestic abuse survey to help understand attitudes towards this taboo subject.
- (16/12/2014) Councillors to be asked to agree consultation about Community Infrastructure Levy
Senior councillors are to be asked to approve a further public consultation about introducing a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), which could pave the way for extra money to pay for roads, parks and playgrounds in the district.
- (16/12/2014) Councillors to discuss new Care Act at Cabinet meeting
Councillors to discuss new Care Act at Cabinet meeting
- (15/12/2014) New art work to be installed at Castleford Bus station
A stunning six-metre high sculpture is to be lowered into place at the redeveloped Castleford Bus station, in an intricate operation that will take three days (December 15,16 and 17) to complete.
- (15/12/2014) Councillors to decide on new affordable homes plan
Key decision makers at the Council are being asked to approve the sale of land in Hemsworth to build affordable housing.
- (15/12/2014) Council Insulation Grants Are Now Available
We are offering residents the chance to save energy and make their homes warmer this winter.
- (15/12/2014) Wakefield Economy grows at a faster pace
Wakefield has seen the local economy grow by 3.2% over the past year, according to new figures.
- (15/12/2014) Go healthy this January
Wakefield Council is urging residents to get healthy by giving up alcohol and going dry this January.
- (11/12/2014) Council launches initiative to work with businesses at Pugneys Country Park
We are launching a new initiative to encourage businesses to help Pugneys Country Park move forward as a major tourist attraction for the area.
- (10/12/2014) Council Christmas Closedown
We are focusing on providing essential services for people who need them most between Christmas and New Year.
- (10/12/2014) Council support residents to stay warm this winter
We are advising residents how to stay warm this winter with information sessions taking place in the city centre.
- (9/12/2014) Council launches new Online Hate Crime reporting service
A new online tool to make it easier to report hate crime is being launched by Wakefield Council.
- (9/12/2014) Residents and business people offered the chance to balance Council budget
We are launching an interactive tool on its website to give residents and business people the opportunity to show how they would personally chose to balance the Council’s budget.
- (9/12/2014) Council begins work on Sandal Library
Refurbishment work is set to begin at Sandal Library which is run by us.
- (9/12/2014) Recipes to feed your family for a fiver
A recipe book aimed at helping people feed their families for a fiver will be launched by local Councillors.
- (5/12/2014) Snow wardens to march on this winter
Wakefield Council is asking its dedicated group of 500 existing snow wardens to get in touch and claim new salt supplies which they can use to help keep pavements clear during harsh winter weather.
- (4/12/2014) Wakefield Council Leader responds to Autumn Statement
Cllr Peter Box, West Yorkshire Combined Authority Chair and Wakefield Council Leader, comments on the omission of any news about devolution for West Yorkshire in the Chancellor's Autumn Statement
- (3/12/2014) Council approves new business hub
Plans to bring a new business hub to Wakefield in partnership with Leeds Beckett University have been approved by Wakefield Councillors.
- (3/12/2014) New waste collection scheme for the district’s residents from next year
People across the district are being asked to look out for a letter next week as Wakefield Council lets them know about widespread changes to the way they recycled.
- (3/12/2014) Much loved painting of Pontefract Castle to be seen in a different light
One of Pontefract Museum’s most well-loved paintings is to undergo vital restoration work ahead of a new Civil War exhibition.
- (2/12/2014) Residents urged to stay safe this winter
We are working with NHS Wakefield Clinical Commissioning Group to remind residents to be safe this season with tips to plan ahead and be prepared for winter.
- (2/12/2014) Santa’s Grotto opens its doors
Children are invited to meet Santa in his new Grotto in Wakefield Market.