- (26/11/2014) New play area for South Elmsall Market
New plans to build a play area in South Elmsall market have been announced.
- (26/11/2014) Council and partners host online chat
The Council in partnership with the police will be hosting a live Facebook chat to listen to the views of residents.
- (25/11/2014) Victorian Christmas at Wakefield Museum
The magic of a Victorian Christmas arrives at Wakefield Museum, Burton Street this Christmas. Families are invited to enjoy the Christmas traditions handed down by our Victorian ancestors.
- (25/11/2014) Cabinet members to decide on future funding of befriending service
Members of the Cabinet are to decide whether to stop funding a Volunteer Befriending and Home Visiting service, which in 2013/14 reached less than four percent of children across the district.
- (25/11/2014) Councillors to be asked to approve changes to street lighting system
Councillors meeting on the December 2 will be asked to approve a plan to improve the efficiency of street lighting across the district and significantly reduce future street lighting energy bills.
- (25/11/2014) Cabinet members to discuss proposals to change budget saving plan
Members of the Council are to discuss an updated plan for financial savings – as part of an overall goal to reduce £38 million from the budget in the next financial year.
- (25/11/2014) Are you registered to vote?
People across the Wakefield district who are eligible to vote are being urged to make sure their names are on the electoral register.
- (25/11/2014) Report asks councillors to re-affirm plans for new system of household waste collection
Councillors are being asked to re-affirm plans for a new system of household waste collection, in the light of new legislation to be implemented on January 1, 2015.
- (25/11/2014) Decision to be made on future support for children and their families
Our Cabinet will be asked to approve changes to the way support is provided to vulnerable children and their families by children’s centres, to ensure that help is available to those who need it most.
- (24/11/2014) Proposals to bring new University business centre to the district
Key decision makers will be asked to approve new plans for Leeds Beckett University to work with the Council to host a new business hub in Wakefield.
- (24/11/2014) District Debate – the future of services
The Wakefield Together Partnership is inviting residents from the across the district to have their say on a number of important services in the area.
- (24/11/2014) Council supports small businesses
Residents are being encouraged to shop and support small businesses in the district at an annual event backed by the Council.
- (20/11/2014) Free from 3 – Christmas parking in Wakefield
Parking in Council-owned car parks in Wakefield, Castleford and Pontefract, will be free after 3pm on the four Thursdays in the run-up to Christmas to encourage shoppers to come into the district.
- (20/11/2014) Council’s Scrutiny report recommends new leisure facilities in Pontefract Park
A working group asked to scrutinise the Council’s recent Leisure Review has said that the consultation carried out around it was robust and has recommended a modern new leisure centre in Pontefract Park.
- (19/11/2014) Residents urged to get tested this HIV week
Next week sees the start of National HIV testing week (24-28 November) and HIV testing sessions are being extended across the district.
- (18/11/2014) Huge crowds expected at Christmas Festival
As the countdown to Christmas begins, Wakefield Council is anticipating huge crowds to join in the festive fun.
- (18/11/2014) Council supports Mental Health Campaign
A new exhibition to tackle the stigma around mental health is to be launched at the Council this month.
- (17/11/2014) Annual Public Health report highlights how prevention is better than cure
No page description has been entered for this news item
- (13/11/2014) Festivities Start Soon
The countdown to Christmas is well underway with only 8 days till the start of our fun festive events.
- (12/11/2014) Deaf awareness courses in demand
Almost 200 people gained qualifications in British Sign Language in a year, thanks to a teaching team at Wakefield Council.
- (12/11/2014) Wakefield Council progresses changes in service delivery
Wakefield Council is looking at different ways of delivering its property and facilities services, including cleaning and catering, as it continues to make savings made necessary by Government cuts in funding.
- (10/11/2014) Council work to improve Normanton Market
Wakefield Council has scheduled a set of new works to help improve Normanton Market and bring more shoppers to the town.
- (10/11/2014) Council offers new service for children
A new online information service for children with special needs and disabilities has been launched by Wakefield Council.
- (10/11/2014) Enjoy your food safely this Christmas
As a part of a national campaign by the Food Standards Agency, the Council is encouraging residents eating out over the festive period, to take part in a 'look before you book' initiative.
- (6/11/2014) Green-fingered apprentice at the Council nominated for top award
A green-fingered apprentice at the Council has been nominated for a top national award.
- (6/11/2014) Council supports businesses
Local businesses have been given the chance to exhibit their products at trade shows throughout the country, with backing from the Council.
- (4/11/2014) New location for South East swimming pool recommended
Decision-makers at the Council will next week be asked to approve Minsthorpe Community College as the new location for a swimming pool in the South East of the district.
- (4/11/2014) Changes proposed at Pugneys as council reduces subsidy
Permission will be sought in the next two weeks for changes to the way that Pugneys Country Park is run as the Council attempts to save £230,000.
- (4/11/2014) Councillors to discuss regional economic and business update at next meeting
Decision-makers at the Council will discuss a new report highlighting the development of the district’s economy at their next meeting on November 11.
- (4/11/2014) Education results improving in Wakefield
New education statistics reveal that primary school pupils in Wakefield district are achieving better test results in 2014, compared to the previous 12 months
- (4/11/2014) Wakefield councillors to discuss future of Metroglaze
Our councillors are to consider sanctioning the closure of a long-established house glazing and door service.
- (4/11/2014) Council to discuss new housing proposals
Our cabinet are to consider proposals to support the drive to build new affordable housing across the district – by providing land to housing association partners.
- (3/11/2014) Remembrance weekend
The Annual Festival of Remembrance will be held in Wakefield Cathedral on Friday November 7.