- (30/10/2014) Flooding awareness backed by Wakefield Council
We are backing a national flood initiative which advises people on how to prepare and plan ahead for an incident
- (29/10/2014) Wakefield's bonfire and firework event
Thousands of visitors are expected at Thornes Park to celebrate the district's official bonfire and fireworks display on Saturday 1 November
- (29/10/2014) Wakefield Council backs National Adoption Week
Wakefield Council is backing National Adoption Week, (November 3 - 9) which is encouraging more people to come forward to give a child a loving and permanent home.
- (28/10/2014) Enterprising young people launch Motor-cross track in Wakefield
A group of young people is to celebrate the launch of a new motorcycle track in Wakefield, which they have helped to create.
- (28/10/2014) Council supports youth groups
New funding has become available for voluntary community youth groups in the Wakefield District.
- (28/10/2014) Council prepares for festive fun
From next month (November), Christmas comes to Wakefield with lots of festive activities taking place.
- (28/10/2014) Memorial information day
An information day is being held at Pontefract Cemetery to advise residents about a programme of memorial safety checks due to start next month.
- (28/10/2014) Work on display
A beautiful new display has opened at Wakefield One, inspired by objects from Wakefield Museums’ collection of ceramics.
- (21/10/2014) A great success
The recent Love Where You Live event in Eastmoor has been a success for us and our partners.
- (22/10/2014) £3.9m lottery grant to build permanent new home for county’s historic archives
The West Yorkshire Archive Service has been awarded £3.9million by the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to create a new permanent home for the region's archives.
- (21/10/2014) Council encourages social care staff and at risk groups to get flu vaccine
We are encouraging those who fall into an 'at risk' group to get a free NHS flu vaccine.
- (20/10/2014) Residents to be quizzed on what prevents them from exercising
We are keen to find out what things may prevent residents from exercising or being as active as they'd like to be.
- (20/10/2014) Fun times over half term
There's plenty to do over the October half term, as we prepare a whole host of activities for the entire family.
- (19/10/2014) Wakefield Council backs online campaign to keep young people safe
We are backing an online campaign which aims to help young people across our district to stay safe from online grooming and sexual exploitation.
- (19/10/2014) Legal advisor wins prestigious award
A legal advisor at Wakefield Council has scooped a regional Yorkshire Legal award
- (15/10/2014) Lets learn together
Wakefield Council is welcoming residents across the district to an annual family learning festival.
- (14/10/2014) Residents thanked for having their say at South Elmsall market
Residents in South Elmsall have been thanked for taking part in Wakefield Council’s HaveYour Say event.
- (14/10/2014) Council awarded for horse safety
Wakefield Council has picked up a national award from the RSPCA for its work in horse safety and tackling fly-grazing.
- (12/10/2014) Eastmoor Love Where You Live Community Litter Pick
The Wakefield Together Partnership is joining forces with local residents at Queen Elizabeth Park, Eastmoor, to help clean-up the area on Tuesday October 21
- (12/10/2014) Wakefield councillors to make decision on future of council tax support scheme
Councillors will decide whether to keep Wakefield's local Council Tax Support scheme in place, for another year, which supports thousands of adults on a low income.
- (8/10/2014) Knottingley and Canal Cycle Track
Wakefield Council is to hold consultation on the development of a cycle track along canal at Knottingley.
- (8/10/2014) Outstanding teacher training open evening in October
Anyone interested in becoming a teacher is invited to a special open evening where they can find out all they need to know about training – from a teacher training provider rated ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted.
- (7/10/2014) Wakefield Council responds to inspection report of its Youth Offending Team
Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Probation recently inspected Wakefield Council's Youth Offending Team and released its report into the service today (8 October). The report said the service had improved its work considerably and seen a welcome reduction in the numbers of young people reoffending.
- (7/10/2014) "Have Your Say" event launched at South Elmsall Market
Residents in South Elmsall are being given the opportunity to take part in Wakefield Council’s first Have Your Say event this weekend, (Friday 10 October and Saturday 11 October).
- (7/10/2014) First ‘Keep on Learning Festival’ for Wakefield
Wakefield Council is launching its first ever ‘Keep on Learning Festival’ (14 - 18 October) to highlight the benefits of education to young people and their parents.
- (7/10/2014) Wakefield Council backs World Mental Health Day (October 10)
Wakefield Council is throwing its support behind World Mental Health Day by encouraging residents to look after their physical and mental health.
- (6/10/2014) Be-Bop Deluxe musician and artist becomes the latest ‘Wakefield Star’
Bill Nelson, the Wakefield born musician and songwriter, has been presented with a Wakefield Star in recognition of his contribution to music.
- (2/10/2014) Black History Month and knitted aquarium take centre stage at Wakefield One
Stunning African clothes and a knitted aquarium are the latest eye-catching attractions to go on display at Wakefield One Library and Museum this month
- (1/10/2014) Young People honoured at Citizen Graduation Ceremony in Wakefield
More than 100 teenagers from the Wakefield area were praised as good citizens at a special graduation ceremony to recognise their hard work.