- (21/7/2014) Decision on whether to move market following residents’ feedback
A decision on whether or not to relocate Wakefield's outdoor market will be made at a Council Cabinet meeting next week (July 29).
- (21/7/2014) Centenary of First World War
We are marking the centenary of World War 1 at the full Council meeting this week.
- (17/7/2014) Wakefield district businesses urged to apply to new funding pot
Businesses in the district are being encouraged by the Council to apply for a slice of a £6m funding pot.
- (15/7/2014) People’s Choice Award – time to vote
Residents of Wakefield are invited to choose the winner of the People's Choice Award.
- (14/7/2014) Council celebrates business support programme success
A new chocolate company is set to taste success after receiving expert help from our business support programme.
- (14/7/2014) Superfast West Yorkshire unveils fibre broadband for thousands more homes and businesses in Wakefield
The Superfast West Yorkshire project today announced the next phase of its expansion of high-speed fibre broadband.
- (14/7/2014) Council celebrates tourism boost
We are celebrating increased figures of tourism in the district.
- (14/7/2014) Thousands pack into Ponte for a real sweet treat
Pontefract Liquorice Festival was a sweet success at the weekend as thousands flocked to the annual festival.
- (13/7/2014) Reminder - have your say on leisure facilities
Residents are being reminded that there is still time to have their say on leisure facilities in the district.
- (13/7/2014) Council encourages residents to move more often
We are encouraging residents to have fun, increase their physical activity and feel good over the summer months.
- (13/7/2014) The seaside returns to Wakefield
Get your flips flops ready and sharpen up your sandcastle making skills for a weekend of fun as the seaside makes an exciting return to Wakefield this August.
- (13/7/2014) Work continues on Pontefract Northern Link Road
Work is continuing on the Pontefract Northern Link Road, which is set to unlock the potential to create more than 1,000 jobs and improve journey times along this key corridor.
- (7/7/2014) Your views sought on Early Help Offer
The people of the Wakefield district are being asked for their views on the future of the Early Help Offer for children and families.
- (7/7/2014) We're supporting Love Parks Week with host of activities
Love Parks Week is being celebrated in our many parks and green spaces across the district with a busy programme of events and activities.
- (7/7/2014) £1bn Deal to boost jobs and growth welcomed
An announcement from the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP) for a £1bn Deal to boost economic growth across the region has been welcomed.
- (7/7/2014) Community Meeting for Portobello, Eastmoor, College Grove, Belle Isle and Parklands areas
We are inviting residents to talk to service providers about issues affecting your local area.
- (7/7/2014) New home for historic former Chantry Chapel frontage not seen since 1996
Historic stones not seen by the public since 1996 will be on show in their new home next month.
- (30/6/2014) Wakefield Council’s Cabinet to discuss services for children
Wakefield Council's Cabinet is to discuss changes to the way children's services are delivered in the district, including approving proposals for consultation on the 'Integrated Early Help Offer.'
- (30/6/2014) Wakefield Council to discuss discretionary relief for business rates
Wakefield Council's key decision makers are to discuss giving the green light to two relief schemes that will hand businesses across the district a business-rate cut.
- (30/6/2014) Public Health Grant 2014/15
Wakefield Council's Cabinet is to discuss the use of the public health grant over the next year.
- (30/6/2014) Wakefield Council sets out plans to tackle homelessness
Wakefield Council's Cabinet are to discuss a new homelessness strategy to look at how to effectively tackle and prevent homelessness in the district.
- (30/6/2014) Council welcomes Yorkshire Regiment
The Yorkshire Regiment, 3rd Battalion The Rifles – granted the Freedom of the City of Wakefield in 2010 - will be exercising their right to parade through Wakefield on Saturday, July 12.
- (30/6/2014) Council Services Set To Be Disrupted By Industrial Action
Following a vote by a number of national trade unions in relation to a national pay award, there will be industrial action on Thursday July 10 which will directly affect Council services