- (23/1/2017) Decision on The Counting House is welcomed
Wakefield Council has welcomed a decision by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, which supports the action it took to protect Pontefract’s medieval Counting House from collapse.
- (23/1/2017) New Visitor Maps for Wakefield and Pontefract
Two new visitor maps have been launched to signpost visitors to key attractions in Wakefield city centre and Pontefract town centre.
- (19/1/2017) Regeneration plans for Wakefield’s Civic Quarter
Wakefield Council is taking the next step in its redevelopment plans for the city centre's historic Civic Quarter.
- (18/1/2017) Featherstone resident fined over £1,200 for fly-tipping in Wakefield
A man who fly-tipped bags of rubbish at Hessle Common in Wakefield has been ordered to pay £1,210 in fines and court costs.
- (17/1/2017) Pass it on – give your unwanted items a new home
Wakefield Council, working in partnership with Shanks Waste Management Ltd, teamed up with a local charity as part of its ‘Pass It On’ scheme - which encourages residents to “pass on” their unwanted household items.
- (17/1/2017) Annual Public Health report focused on healthy weight
Senior Wakefield councillors are to discuss two reports which highlight the district’s public health challenges.
- (16/1/2017) Council is investing £1m for community projects
Wakefield Council is investing over £1m into community projects across the district as part of its Capital Grants Programme.
- (12/1/2017) District’s two oldest leisure facilities to close
Knottingley Sports Centre and Castleford Swimming Pool will close on Friday 3 February, as work gets underway to design the £14.8m leisure and well-being centre in Pontefract Park.
- (9/1/2017) Breastfeeding scheme is helping mums
More than 60 organisations including GP surgeries, coffee shops, libraries, and community centres have joined Wakefield’s Breastfeeding Friendly Scheme.
- (9/1/2017) Pontefract Spotters Guide
The Pontefract Townscape Heritage Initiative is launching a fun architectural treasure hunt around Pontefract Town Centre for children and families.
- (9/1/2017) Pontefract Registration Office Open Day
Residents are invited to see the newly renovated ceremony suite at the Pontefract Registration Office.
- (4/1/2017) Festival of Food, Drink and Rhubarb welcomes top celebrity chef
Award-winning celebrity chef, Jean-Christophe Novelli, is joining the line-up for Wakefield’s famous Festival of Food, Drink and Rhubarb next month.
- (3/1/2017) Call for ‘After Eight’ chocolate factory workers to help museum exhibition
Workers are being asked to share their experiences of the district’s famous ‘After Eight’ factory - to celebrate 40 years of the iconic mint being made in Castleford.