Brexit - The transition period

The UK ended its EU membership on 31 January 2020 and is now in a transition period until the end of 2020, while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.

The current rules on trade, travel and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period.

You, your family or your business can take some actions now to prepare for 2021.

Advice for residents

Travelling to EU countries will require additional preparation in terms of travel documents for you and your pets, health care, mobile roaming charges and driving permits. Check what you need to do when going to the EU.

Advice for businesses

If you move goods into or out of the EU, you must get an EORI number.

You should also decide how you want to make customs declarations and whether you need to deal with customs for you.

As a Wakefield district business The Council’s business team provides support for businesses.

Advice for people with a passport from an EU country who wish to continue to live and work in the UK

Check if you need to apply to the settlement scheme if you or your family hold a passport from an EU member state or from Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

Advice for UK citizens who want to live and work in EU countries

Living and working in an EU country depends on the rules in that country.

You may need to register or apply for residency. You should check that you’re covered for healthcare.

You may also need to exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live.

Useful links to Wakefield businesses and residents

All transition period information