Wakefield welcomes the West Yorkshire Combined Authority transport levy
Ref: PR 8490
Wakefield Council has welcomed a transport levy from the West Yorkshire Combined Authority. The levy is being used by the Council, and other local authorities across the region, to boost transport schemes.
In the Wakefield district the transport levy is being used to provide a concessionary travel scheme for young people and seniors by subsidising bus fares at certain times in areas of the district.
The Wakefield Eastern Relief Road (WERR), due to open shortly, is also benefiting from the levy. The WERR will create access to land to deliver 2,500 new homes and 1,100 new jobs.
Cllr Peter Box CBE, Leader of Wakefield Council, said: "The funding provided through the West Yorkshire Combined Authority's transport levy is helping to deliver a number of key transport schemes across the district. This will help boost local economic growth and fuel the delivery of new homes and jobs.
"Moving forward the West Yorkshire plus Transport Fund and levy will provide the opportunity for additional transport investment to support the Council's development strategy and good growth."
Other schemes include highways improvements to the Kirkgate area of the city as part of the regeneration plans around Kirkgate, Ings Road and Denby Dale Road. The scheme will see the subways being filled in and improved conditions for bus services, cyclists and pedestrians.
Other schemes currently being progressed include:
• Glasshoughton Southern Link Road - expected to create 1,200 new homes and 500 jobs,
• Castleford Growth Corridor Scheme - expected to create 4,000 new homes and 1,000 jobs,
• Castleford Rail Station Improvement Scheme - with upgrades to the station, car park, and links to the new bus station,
• Improved Rail Station Programme at Pontefract Monkhill and Knottingley
• Rail station car parking improvements at Pontefract Monkhill, South Elmsall, Fitzwilliam, Normanton and Outwood,
• The Castleford to Wakefield Greenway,
• Feasibility work on the South Featherstone Link Road.