New Minsthorpe leisure centre gets planning approval
The new multi-million pound leisure centre at Minsthorpe moves one step closer as the planning application gets approval.
Work to prepare the site at Ash Grove will start in the next few weeks and construction work is expected to start after Christmas.
Cllr Les Shaw, Cabinet Member for Culture Leisure and Sport said: "I am delighted that planning permission has been granted and we can finally get started on making this new leisure centre a reality.
"I know the local community have waited some time for this and I thank them for their patience. We can now get on with delivering the modern, high quality leisure facility local people want and deserve."
The plans for the new leisure centre proposals were finalised after a public consultation, which ran this summer. Over 550 people provided feedback on the plans, showing overwhelming support for the facility to be built at the Ash Grove site.
The new £5 million leisure centre will include:
• 25 metre, six-lane pool (shallow to deep 0.9-1.8m)
• Modern filtration and heating plant
• Shallow end spectator seating
• Multifunction studio space – providing for a range of activities
• 50 station air-conditioned gym
• Changing village, with separate accessible and family changing spaces, with dedicated group changing rooms.
• Open plan foyer and reception area with seating and views on to the pool side.
• Car parking, cycle storage and school bus pull in, all conveniently located on site
The flexible nature of the proposed swimming space, along with a wide range of programmed activities, means that the new pool would offer swimming opportunities for people of all ages and abilities, including those who want to learn to swim. The planned studio space is also extremely versatile and could cater for a full range of activities from toddler soft play and baby gym to martial arts and table tennis.