Family–friendly activities for spooky half-term fun
Ref: PR 8368
Wakefield Council is hosting a series of family activities this October half term, including Halloween themed events, crafts and walks.
Cllr Les Shaw, Cabinet Member for Culture, Leisure and Sport, said: "We have a range of fun activities for the entire family to enjoy. So get the dates in your diary and get ready for some great days out."
Love Liquorice? Play with the giant liquorice and dress up as all sorts of things. Plus, get creative with the family activity sheets at Pontefract Museum, 10.30am - 4.30pm.
Spooky craft activities for all ages take place at Castleford Museum on Monday 24 to Friday 28 from 10am - 4pm. Or, children can have a go at making an historic Halloween hat - such as a royal crown or cavalier hat at Pontefract Museum on Wednesday 26 October 10am - 3pm.
There's also a Roald Dahl inspired event – called George's Marvellous Mess – at Wakefield Museum, where children aged 2 - 5-years-old can make squidgy, wet and sparkly creations. There fun event is on Thursday 27 October.
Some activities need to be booked, and for more information on all activities please visit www.wakefield.gov.uk/events
Additionally, families can enjoy the 'Room on the Broom' Scavenger Trail. Themed on the popular book, the trail enables children to hunt for 16 stamps at four of the district's parks - Thornes Park, Pontefract Park, Pugneys Country Park and Haw Park Wood.
For more information visit www.wakefield.gov.uk/roomonthebroom
There are plenty of sports and leisure activities taking place during half-term.
Fun sessions for children with floats and balls are taking place at the district's swimming pools.
• Sun Lane, in Wakefield: Monday 24 October - Friday 28 October from 1.15pm - 2.45pm.
• Pontefract Swimming Pool: Monday 24 October to Friday 28 October from 1.00pm -2.00pm.
• Knottingley Sport Centre: Monday 24 October, Wednesday 26 October, Thursday 27 October and Friday 28 October. All fun sessions start at 1.30pm - 2.30pm.
• Featherstone Sport Centre: Monday 24tOctober, Tuesday 25 October, Thursday 27 October and Friday 28 October. All fun sessions start at 1.00pm - 2.00pm
• Normanton Swimming Pool: Monday 24 October to Friday 28 October from 1.15pm - 2.15pm
• Castleford Swimming Pool: Monday 24 October to Friday 28 October from 1.15pm -2.15pm
Pugneys Country Park Lake and playground is open for all activities. Water sports including pedaloes, sit on top kayaks, kayaks, Canadian canoes, windsurfing and sailing are all available. For full details visit www.wakefield.gov.uk/SAL