Watch out for letter, says Council

​Date: 29/08/2014
Ref: PR 4679

Residents across the district are being advised to watch out for a letter this week as Wakefield Council starts its activity to highlight changes to the voter registration system.

From this year people must be individually registered to vote. This new, more secure, system of Individual Electoral Registration is being introduced by the Government to replace the old system where the "head of household" registered everyone living in a property. Now, each individual will be responsible for registering themselves.

Around 16% of people in the district will need to take action as a result of the letter, either by filling in the enclosed form or applying online. The remaining 84% have had their identity confirmed and have been automatically transferred to the new system.

The Council's Chief Executive, Joanne Roney OBE, is also the official Electoral Registration Officer. Ms Roney commented: "It's important that people look out for the letter which will explain all of the changes. The letter will tell you if you have been automatically transferred to the new register or not. If you have not been transferred, you will need to provide some additional information and the letter will tell you exactly what you need to do.

"Being on the electoral roll is not just about being able to vote and it can have a negative effect on your credit rating if you're not registered."

Residents are also reminded that if they do not take action when requested, they may be risking up to an £80 penalty.

To find out more about the changes to the rules visit www.gov.uk/yourvotematters