Park and ride in Wakefield during Le Tour
Wakefield Council is informing residents and visitors about the park and ride facility available in Wakefield during the Tour de France weekend on July 5 and 6.
With the iconic cycling event only a matter of weeks away, the Council is inviting people to park at Merchant Gate car park and travel from Westgate train station to see Le Tour. Westgate train station is located in the heart of the city centre – adjacent to Merchant Gate where a full day of parking on the Saturday and Sunday costs just £5 per day.
Cllr Les Shaw, cabinet member for Culture, Leisure and Sport, said: "With the Tour de France only weeks away there is a real excitement in the air – and the last thing people want is to worry about parking and travelling to Le Tour. We are hoping to make seeing Le Tour even easier by offering convenient parking.
"We are urging visitors to make use of Wakefield's car parking at Merchant Gate which is adjacent to the train station, with 900 spaces for rail users.
"There are trains running every hour to Huddersfield, Sheffield and York and every 15-30 minutes to Leeds. This will make journeys easier and more convenient for visitors to get to the race as disruption is expected during the Tour de France weekend."
The Council is supporting TDF Hub 2014 in their efforts to help visitors to plan their journeys well in advance to avoid delays. General tips and advice include:
• Plan ahead – visit www.letour.yorkshire.com/travel to find details of where and when Le Tour takes place via an interactive map.
• Set off early – journeys are expected to take longer than usual and visitors are advised to set off in plenty of time to bag the best spot.
• Keep it simple – choosing options such as walking or getting on a bike.
• Check your Départ – live traffic and travel information will be available at www.letour.yorkshire.com/travel the week before and after the race.
• Know your options – making sure to have another plan in case the first location is busy.
For more information visit www.wakefield.gov.uk/merchantgate or www.nationalrail.co.uk. Alternatively tweet @TdFYorksTravel #TdfTravel.
Other events are taking place throughout the district to celebrate the Tour de France including cycle rides at The Hepworth Wakefield, the race played live on the big screen at Trinity Walk from 9am-3pm and a stuntmen show at The Ridings Centre from 11am-3pm.