The County Hall at Wakefield, was acquired by the City of Wakefield Metropolitan District Council in December 1987 to continue the use of the building for local government purposes - as the Council’s main headquarters.
On 19 February 1991, the then Leader of the Council, Councillor John D Pearman, unveiled a plaque to mark not only the acquisition of the building but also its major refurbishment.
This refurbishment, costing in excess of £3 million, was long overdue because of the uncertainty as to the future use of the building. It has included:-
- the installation of a new heating and ventilation system,
- a new lift,
- electrical rewiring,
- new light fittings,
- the refurbishment of the computer suite,
- improvements to the toilet accommodation,
- installation of a public address system to the Council Chamber,
- provision of a new staff club facility,
- an integrated fire alarm system
- the full and complete redecoration of the building both internally and externally.
Once the refurbishment had been completed the building returned to its former glory.
The building was, of course, formerly the County Hall of the West Riding County Council from 1898 to 1974 and of the West Yorkshire Metropolitan County Council from 1974 to 1986.