Wakefield Stars shine
Wakefield Stars is a pavement stars scheme located in Wakefield City Centre.
The scheme aims to recognise current or past residents who have a nationally recognised, outstanding achievement. This includes achievements in sport or culture, those that support their local community nationally or someone who is nationally recognised as a leader in their profession or calling.
Eleven stars, in the form of pavement plaques, were installed in 2011, leading from the city to The Hepworth, Wakefield.
- Barry Hoban - Professional Cyclist
- Stan Barstow - Writer
- The Cribs – Indie Rock Band
- Neil Fox – Rugby League
- John Godber – Playwright
- Sir Martin Frobisher – Explorer
- John Harrison – Clockmaker
- Barbara Hepworth – Sculptor
- Jane McDonald - Entertainer
- Henry Moore – Sculptor
- David Topliss – Rugby League
- Charles Waterton – Conservationist
The Wakefield Stars Board, made up from representatives from across the public, private and community sector, will sit to select which nominees will be awarded a star (see 'Downloads' for more details).
Members of the public can nominate a person/group for a Wakefield Star.
Nominations can be made:
- at any of the district's local libraries
- at Wakefield Visitor Centre
- by downloading a form and posting it to us (see 'Downloads')
- online (see link below)
The next Wakefield Stars selection will be in 2014. You can vote at any time using the link below: